Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Reusable Bags

You've probably noticed those reusable cloth bags starting to crop up at grocery stores in your area. I know the Giant Eagles around here have them. While I'm not sure I would recommend buying them, I do recommend collecting some reusable cloth bags and bringing them to the stores with you. So far, I've managed to collect quite a few cloth bags from various library events and conferences I have attended. They work wonderfully as grocery bags. Some stores even give you a discount or a chance to enter a contest (e.g. Trader Joe's) if you bring your own bags.

Also, if you don't have cloth bags (or if you forget your cloth bags occasionally, as I do), remember to recycle plastic bags. Giant Eagle has bins for recycling plastic bags, and I bet other grocery stores do as well. You can also reuse plastic bags yourself. They are great for vacations - dirty clothes, wet swimsuits; for cleaning out litter boxes; for carting around dirty shoes; and much more.

Some countries are starting to take the effect of plastic bags on the environment very seriously. Back in January, China announced it would be banning stores from giving out free plastic bags as well as banning the production of ultra thin plastic bags (see the BBC article for more info) starting June of 2008. The ban has since gone into effect with varied response. While I can't speak to the ramifications for businesses or for customers who choose to purchase plastic bags, it seems like a step in the right direction. There are several other countries and cities who have banned plastic bags in some form or other. For a list see this Planet Ark article.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent points. There's even more motivation for laying off the plastic bags here:

http://www.reusethisbag.com/25-reasons-to-go-reusable.asp

betsy said...

i love trader joe's for their incentive cloth bag program. and if i get ONE MORE cloth bag from a conference. well, i don't know what.

anyway, great post and great links!

Kate said...

Thanks for the link to Reuse This Bag. Yet more great reasons to stop using plastic bags!

Betsy - exactly, cloth bags are so common at conferences. I think if I get too many more, I might have to start handing them out to friends to use or something.