Friday, January 14, 2011

Recycling Old Computers

To buy a new computer or not to? That has been the question I've been asking myself for probably about a year now. The last time I got a brand new computer was in 1999 (laptop). Then, in about 2004 or so, a friend built me a computer (desktop) out of old and new parts. Later, when I moved in with my now-husband, he gave me one of his hand-me-downs (desktop). It was probably around the same age as the 2004 one but had better parts. I still have both of the desktops but neither works particularly well.

I debated a new computer for a long time. I don't use a computer a lot at home, at least one of the desktops worked for the most part, and new computers are expensive - especially considering I wanted a laptop.

Then my husband's laptop met an untimely death, and my desktop decided I wasn't allowed to have sound anymore (along with several other very annoying issues). So I gave in and ordered a new laptop when he did.

But what to do with the old desktops? Recycling was the obvious choice. I figured I'd take the old towers to a Goodwill or the recycling at work or something. But then my coworker told me about an NPR story she heard that revealed that many recycling companies ship old computers off to other countries where women and children go through the computers and recycle the various parts. This involves contact with toxic chemicals, not to mention the child labor.

Well, crap.

I found the NPR story and some nice person had posted a link to reputable recyclers. It just so happens that there are two in my area, so I'm all set. Many of these places take other electronics as well, so you can get rid of more than just computers.

Who knew you needed to be so careful about the recycling company you choose?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

true...here are some pics i had come across a while back: http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1870162,00.html
(there's an article too, but the pics are compelling)

Kate said...

Wow, those really are some compelling photos. Thanks for sharing!