Thursday, December 2, 2010

Stopping Unwanted Mail

I mentioned in my last post that my husband and I have recently purchased a house. We had been in our apartment for over 3 years before we moved into our new home, and we were still getting mail for the previous tenants. Now that we actually own a home, I am more determined than ever to stop all unwanted mail. Here's what I've been up to and/or plan to do soon:

  • Catalog Choice - I signed up for this at the apartment and used it to stop a few catalogs. It seems to work, but I forgot about it after stopping some of the main nuisances. After the move, I started using it again, especially since they've expanded beyond catalogs to include junk from companies like Comcast, Geico, etc. Every time I get an unwanted catalog or other mail I set it aside until I have a moment to sit down and add it to Catalog Choice. Definitely a service worth exploring. Also, for an annual donation of $20, Catalog Choice offers the option to get yourself unlisted from those lists marketers use to find you and send you junk. I haven't done this yet, but will consider it if the offers become excessive.
  • YellowPagesGoesGreen.org - This was mentioned in my one-a-day calendar (don't worry, I use the discarded pages as scrap paper before recycling them). I used it to find two local yellow page opt out options. I completed one but chose to avoid the other because it wasn't clear if I was also going to be signing up for some service at the same time. If we get any phone books, I will call and cancel them.
  • OptOutPrescreen.com - I was hesitant to do this because it reminds me of the "Do Not Call" registry. I put myself on that a few apartments ago and immediately began getting tons of charity and political phone calls. I think I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot and see how it goes. OptOutPrescreen takes your name and contact info off the lists provided by Consumer Credit Report Agencies to companies offering credit and insurance offers. I will probably go through the effort of doing the permanent opt-out, which requires you to mail-in a form along with an electronic submission.
  • DMAchoice.org - I learned about this one more recently and made a note to come back to it. I haven't completed it yet, since Catalog Choice seems to work for now, but I'll consider it for the future.
  • USPS - The individual who lived in the house we recently purchased is now deceased. I've read on various random websites that I can go to the post office and set up something so that that his mail will no longer be delivered to us. I need to look into this in greater depth though. I don't want the post office to just toss the mail, I want the companies to stop sending it altogether. Until I know more, I will just be using Catalog Choice to stop this mail.
  • Discover Card - Discover Card is on my evil list. It's my favorite credit card, but they have been sending more and more unnecessary offers, including reminders about some things I have already signed up for! I have searched their website for the option to stop them from sending this stuff, but no luck. I will have to give them a call.
I suspect that because we have different last names, my husband may have to sign up for some of these things as well. Catalog Choice allows you to add the name of any addressee, which is nice, but the others probably do not.

Anyone know of any other useful options for stopping mail? Or any more information about stopping mail through USPS for previous tenants?

No comments: