Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Story of Stuff

Wow, it's been a really long time since I posted on this blog. Perhaps starting it wasn't the best idea....

Anyway, I just finished watching The Story of Stuff, and I think I'm going to set myself a reminder to watch it at least every few months. I already know many of the topics covered, in at least some way, but it's helpful to see it all together and to be reminded that the US's reliance on stuff cannot keep up at the rate it's going.

There are so very many ways to reduce reliance on and consuming of stuff. Here's a few of the things that I am doing:

  1. I am determined never to become a collector of anything again. In high school and college, I was a fan of dolphins (still am, but not as openly so). Apparently, choosing something you like means that you will suddenly be bombarded with a plethora of stuff pertaining to that thing. I have dolphin doodads out the wazoo. I am going to donate them to Goodwill and will not collect this type of thing again.
  2. My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a house. The one we have selected is pretty much the same size as our apartment (which, granted, is pretty large for an apartment - 3 bedrooms). Which means that we will not need to acquire more stuff once we move. In fact, we are trying to purge (responsibly - Goodwill, veterans, recycling) the stuff we do not currently use.
  3. We use canvas bags instead of plastic ones 95% of the time (we still forget, but have gotten much better).
  4. We do not drink bottled water, but instead have nice water bottles. I use mine every day at work.
  5. I intend to ask for a few small things that I want for Christmas and then ask that any other gifts to me be either donations to charity or homemade gift certificates for time spent together. And perhaps gift certificates to Lowe's for home repair. But I also hope that my husband and I are able to get a lot of stuff from Pittsburgh's Construction Junction, which offers used building materials for cheap resale.
  6. We do not buy DVDs. This was actually my husband's idea. So much is now available through Netflix that if I get a craving for a certain movie, I can either find it immediately through streaming or I can wait a few days to get it through the mail. In the past I have still asked for DVDs as gifts, but I will not be doing that any more.
  7. My husband and I share one car. And a fairly efficient car at that. We now drive a new Honda Fit, but previously we shared a 1997 Honda Civic (until August 2010). We walk and bike to work as much of the year as we can tolerate, and we hunted for 10 months to find a house in our price range that kept us close to both our works as well as stores, restaurants, and a park.
  8. We recycle extensively.
  9. We make it a goal never to have more than one bag of trash a week, and usually are closer to a half bag.
  10. I kept my previous cell phone for, I think, 4 and 1/2 years. Planned obsolescence lead to it recently being unable to find service like it should, so I upgraded. I donated the old phone, as well as my husband's old phone, to a campus fundraiser in the hopes that they would be reused or recycled.
Ideas I have for the future:
  1. I have a lot of friends who garden, and it seems like many of them end up producing an abundance of a certain type of crop. I think it would be great to organize a group of these friends who get together to share the abundance, so that everyone ends up with a variety. Our new home has apple trees that definitely produce a lot, and I would much rather share apples than see them go to waste.
  2. Even though we have a front and backyard (shared with the upstairs neighbors), I haven't composted much yet. I intend to change this with our new house. I love houseplants and gardening so this would save me from buying soil.
  3. Our new house will have a rain barrel.
There is so much we can do to reduce our consumption of stuff (and non-local foodstuffs). If you have any other ideas, let me know!

3 comments:

reyn said...

Many years ago, I heard of a company that recycled old shoes into dog beds. They've apparently stopped doing that, but http://www.nikereuseashoe.com/ will still take old athletic shoes and make them into running tracks and courts. I plan to swing by their local factory store soon for the sole purpose of getting rid of the old shoes I had been saving for a dog bed.

Elizabeth said...

I fully support your endeavor and hope I can be as disciplined as you one day! Meanwhile, I have the throw out the one word I was looking for in the post and couldn't find. What about...

...books.

I've actually culled my collection recently, taking several bags of tomes to Half Priced Books. But, those were all duds that I fully intended never to read again, and I still can't imagine giving up a book I've enjoyed. I think I may even be at the point where an entire room would be needed for my complete book collection, which is now mostly housed in my parents basement.

So, have you reached the point yet where you're culling books?

Kate said...

Reyn, thanks for mentioning that service through Nike!

Elizabeth, yes, I have started getting rid of books. I buy very few books. I prefer to get them from a library. The only books I buy are ones I've already read that I think I will want to reread or loan out to friends.

I had acquired a ton of books in Spanish (for free) which I'd told myself I would read someday. I finally got rid of those. I'm also in the process of getting rid of just about all the Christian romances I have since that's no longer of any interest to me. Some of them have sentimental value though, so I can't eliminate all. I've also made up a shelf of books that I have not read that I own. I will slowly be going through that and deciding which to keep and which to get rid of.

There's nothing like a move to make you decide to devote yourself to getting rid of stuff. We put out a bunch of stuff for the Vietnam Veterans to pick up. They left a bag, and I've already put a few more items in there for next time.